Your roof may have survived the cold and hot summer, but rainy season is the time when it needs special protection. Roofing inspection before the rainy season is essential to increase the lifespan of your roof. It also helps to avoid additional damage to your home’s precious interior and property.
Roof inspection should be completed on a semi-annual basis. Most of the professional roofers recommend regular inspection before and after the rainy season. If there was a passing storm or lightening strike you must call a professional roofer.
Rainy Season Roof Maintenance Tips:
- Clean Gutters and Drains: Rainy season is the time when you you have extra careful what’s going down your drain to prevent any leaks or backup. Clogged gutter can put a strain on a roof. It can also act a breeding ground for mosquitoes and ugly roof gardens.
- Lightning Protection: Rain storms bring fierce lightning strikes along with them, make sure to review your building’s lightning protection system by hiring a reliable and experienced San Antonio roofing company.
- Mold Build-up: Heavy rain and strong humidity also create appropriate conditions for mold growth. These molds silently destroy your property and lead to structural damages.
- Pest Build-up: If your roof has small entry holes or cavaties in it, this provides a perfect home for Birds, stray cats, spiders, and raccoons. You must block these immediately to mitigate with the issue.
- Sun Damage: Rainy season is the time of rapid changes in hot and cold weather. Solar radiation can shorten the life of many roof systems. Scan your roof immediately after rainy days to ensure sealants are working fine. Their should also be no cracks in the roof membrane.
- Strong Wind: Driving wind and rain can loosen the roofing shingles and tiles. This is the primary reason of leaks and precipitation in the sides. Make sure to walk the roof after every storm to detect damage.
Hire a Roofing Professional
A qualified roofing expert understands your rainy season roofing maintenance requirements. By creating a customized roofing inspection program they will provide you with a detailed report outlining any issues. They will also provide you roofing inspection report which is valuable source of information for property valuation, budgeting, and other legal ramifications. Make sure to seek at least two bids for repair work.
When to Contact Roofing Experts:
Contact professional roofing company in any of the following problems:
- Damaged or curling shingles are the first signs of wear and tear. It’s easy and inexpensive to replace one or two shingles. You can either do it yourself or hire a professional residential roofer.
- Check rust buildup in case of metal. You can use a wire brush to dirt them off, else apply a good quality primer or paint as a long term solution.
- It is also essential to examine the roof flashing. Solid flashing system installed protects you from thundering. Only an experienced residential roofer can check and install your flushing system appropriately.
- It is also important to examine any cracked mortar or caulking around joints and chimneys. Maintain and repair caulks promptly, it may be deteriorating.
Rainy season is the time when special attention is required to protect your roof. Mostly, people are unaware about key roofing construction elements which lead to further property damage. Therefore, the roof must be ensured and installed correctly without any gaps.
Also, choose the right quality roofing material, weather resistant materials would be the best choice. There is a wide range of roofing materials available from clay, metal, to bitumen. Choose as per your building requirements. It is also necessary to adjust the roofing material with the intensity of the rainfall in your residential area. You will also find wind and crack resistant materials, ask your roofer to suggest you the right material.
Hire a roofing contractor with experience in your particular building type. For further assurance also ask to see references of their former clients and works.